Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Prevention

Every year people die in the U. S. from accidental CO poisoning. When power outages occur after severe weather (such as winter storms), using alternative sources of power can cause CO to build up in a home and poison the people and animals inside.

CO is found in fumes produced by portable generators, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.

Change the batteries in your CO detector every six months. If you don't have a battery-powered or battery back-up CO detector, buy one soon.

How to Recognize CO Poisoning

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.







Please enter the word you see in the image below: